Since its opening on August 9, 1915, the library has always had a bookbinding room. In the early days, bookbinding masters were hired from Japan, and given high wages to teach local employees various bookbinding techniques. This long history means that the National Taiwan Library has always been an example for other libraries in Taiwan in terms of document repair. The long term conservation of books was also considered in the planning of the move. In June 2007, the library integrated the first large volume deacidification system of Taiwan with freeze pest removal facilities and bookbinding techniques, to create the Taiwan Book Hospital. We hope to promote book health and repair techniques, and to ensure that these skills are passed on to the following generations.
In order to cope with reforming government structure, this library has be renamed as "National Taiwan Library" starting from January 1, 2013.